Sunday 24th June 2018
Here at the Kent & East Sussex Railway we are welcoming what was once the deadly enemy of the railways - the bus.
On Sunday 24th June our station at Tenterden will be the setting for a rally featuring more than a dozen vintage vehicles, offering free rides to seven destinations.(Image courtesy of G Walker)
A hundred years ago, the coming of the bus posed a significant threat to the railway, as competition for passengers intensified. The car ultimately took its toll on both. Here at the railway we carried our last passengers in 1954 before re-opening in preservation in 1974.
During the bus rally, on Sunday, 24 June, there will be free bus trips throughout the day to Headcorn, Woodchurch, Cranbrook, Wittersham, Sandhurst, Rolvenden Layne and Shrubcote Lane.
Rally committee member Noel Young said: “Older people will be able to ride on vehicles they remember from 50 years ago, while children can enjoy seeing the buses for the first time. And, of course, they can buy tickets to travel on the railway, which will be running steam trains. It's the perfect setting for a wonderful day out. Other buses will be on display in addition to those providing rides."
FREE feeder services using vintage buses will leave from Tunbridge Wells railway station (8.45am), Hastings station (9.02am) and Ashford station (9.10am).The return journeys to all three towns will leave Tenterden at 4.30pm. While the organisers will try to operate the below services it will depend on vehicle availability, resulting in no guarantee of timings or of services running.
Two steam trains will be operating services throughout the day - click here for timetable of train service
Book your tickets online before midnight on 23rd June to receive a 10% discount.
TravelCard tickets provide unlimited all day travel on our steam trains.
Collected your discounted pre-booked tickets from the Booking Office upon arrival at Tenterden.
To subscribe to exclusive members e-newsletters, simply enter your details below. You may unsubscribe at any time by clicking on the link in our emails or here
New Volunteer Accommodation at Tenterden
New volunteer overnight accommodation will be available at Tenterden for use from Monday 2nd July 2018
A great deal of effort and resource has been made in providing this facility. It follows that keeping it secure and in good condition is essential. The terms and conditions of use are outlined below and, by making a booking, you indicate your agreement to these T&C’s.
What is available?
Who is eligible to book overnight accommodation?
How much does it cost?
How to register
How to make a room booking
Changes to your room booking
Terms and Conditions of use:
Common sense and mutual respect for our accommodation, each other, our neighbours and our customers should ensure there is no need for excessive rules and regulations.
Making a booking indicates your acceptance of these Terms and Condition
Thank you for becoming a member of the Kent & East Sussex Railway. I hope that you will enjoy your involvement for many years to come.
Your support as a member helps to keep the Railway running on a day to day basis. However, there are many other ways that you can contribute to the Railway’s long term success:
• Volunteering – there are many jobs that need to be done, ranging from those that require training to many that need no specialist knowledge. Please look at the website for more information: http://www.preservation.kesr.org.uk/helping/vacancies/volunteering-opportunities
• Donations – these can be one-off or a regular payment, and can be made with Gift Aid for extra value (UK taxpayers only)
• Affiliate organisations – these are in the KESR family, but independently run. Please contact them directly:
• Legacies – if you would like to leave the Railway money in your will for future generations to continue to enjoy the Railway, then please look at this page on our website: http://www.preservation.kesr.org.uk/helping/fundraising/gifts-and-legacies
Don’t forget members get:
• Three free all-day TravelCard tickets each year
• A discount at the bookshop and at the Station Refreshment Rooms at Tenterden
• Coopies of our house magazine "The Tenterden Terrier"
• Discounted entry to Bodiam castle
• A chance to contribute to the success of the Kent & East Sussex Railway!
Please download a copy of our Articles of Association (these are the rules of the Company and set out your rights and obligations), then complete the form below to acknowledge your acceptance. As a member you can also subscribe to receive our regular members-only e-Newsletter: the subscription link is revealed after completing the form below.
If you have any quesries regarding your membership subscription or you wish to amend your contact details, our membership secretaries can be reached at [email protected]
I look forward to seeing you on the Railway.